Laura A. Reese
Laura A. Reese is Professor of Political Science and Director of the Global Urban Studies Program (GUSP). She joined the faculty at Michigan State University in the Fall of 2005 as founding Director of GUSP, a research and doctoral initiative focusing on urban affairs and public policy, globalization and urban areas, and comparative urban studies. Previously, Dr. Reese was a member of the graduate urban planning faculty at Wayne State University after teaching in the Master of Public Administration Program in the Department of Political Science at Eastern Michigan University.
Professor Reese’s main research and teaching areas are urban politics and public policy, economic development, and local governance and management in both Canada and the US. She has conducted large-scale evaluations for the Economic Development Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce. Her research on sub-state economic development programs includes Tax Increment Finance Authorities and Industrial Tax Abatements. She has written several books and numerous articles in these areas, as well as public personnel administration focusing on implementation of sexual harassment policy.
Her books include the following:
- Equity in the Workplace: Gendering Workplace Policy Analysis (with Heidi Gottfried). (2004) Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Critical Evaluations of Economic Development Policies (with David Fasenfest). (2004) Detroit: Wayne State University Press.
- The Civic Culture of Local Economic Development (with Raymond Rosenfeld). (2002) Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Approaches to Local Economic Development (with John Blair). (1999) Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Sexual Harassment Policy Implementation in the Public Sector Workplace (with Karen Lindenberg). (1999) Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Local Economic Development Policy: The U.S. and Canada. (1997) New York: Garland Publishing.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2005. “Sustainability Strategies in North American Cities,” in Sustainable Development and Planning II, Vol. 1, eds. A.G. Kungolos, C.A. Brebbia, and E. Beriatos. Boston: WIT Press: 133-142.
- Reese, Laura A., and Karen Lindenberg. 2005. “Gender, Age, and Sexual Harassment,” Review of Public Personnel Administration, 25: 325-352.
- Reese, Laura A., and Raymond Rosenfeld. 2005. “Local Government Amalgamation From the Top-Down” in Perspectives on City-Consolidation and its Alternatives, eds. J. Carr and R. Feiock. New York: ME Sharpe: 219-245.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2006. “The Equity Impacts of Municipal Tax Incentives: Leveling or Tilting the Playing Field?” Review of Policy Research, 23 (1): 71-94.
- Reese, Laura A. 2006. “Do We Really Need Another Typology? Clusters Of Local Economic Development Strategies.” Economic Development Quarterly, 20 (4): 368-376.
- Reese, Laura A. 2006. “Economic Versus Natural Disasters: If Detroit Had a Hurricane…” Economic Development Quarterly, 20 (3): 219-231.
- Reese, Laura A. 2006. “Not Just Another Determinants Piece: Alternative Hypotheses To Explain Local Tax Abatement Policy” Review of Policy Research, 23 (2): 491-504.
- Reese, Laura A. 2006. “Patterns of Convergence and Divergence in Canadian and US Approaches to Local Economic Development,” in Convergence and Divergence in North America, eds. K. Froschauer, N. Fabbi, and S. Pell. Centre for Canadian Studies, Simon Fraser University: Vancouver: 671-692.
- Reese, Laura A. 2006. “The Planning-Policy Connection in US and Canadian Economic Development.” Government and Policy, August: 553-573.
- Reese, Laura A., Gary Sands, and Heather Khan. 2006. “Implementing Tax Abatements in Michigan: A Study of Best Practices,” Economic Development Quarterly, 20 (1): 44-58.
- Reese, Laura A., Gary Sands, and Joe Ohren. 2006. “Tax Abatement – False Hope for Urban Revitalization” Michigan Municipal Review, March/April: 16-17.
- Reese, Laura A., and Davia Cox. 2007. “Local Culture and Government: Exploring the Endurance of Culture in the Face of Structural Change,” Canadian Public Administration, 50: 245-271.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2007. “Making The Least of Our Differences?: A Panel Study of Canadian and US Local Economic Development,” Canadian Public Administration, 50: 79-99.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2007. “Well Made Places: Resident Satisfaction in New Urban Communities,” in Sustainable Development and Planning III, Volume 1, eds. A.G. Kungolos, C.A. Brebbia, and E. Beriatos. Boston: WIT Press: 43-53.
- Reese, Laura A., Gary Sands, and Katherine Tredeau. 2007. “Tips for TIFs: Policies For Neighborhood Tax Increment Financing Districts,” Journal of the Community Development Association, 38: 68-86.
- Reese, Laura A., Richard Hula, and Cynthia Jackson-Elmoore. 2007. “Mixing God’s Work and The Public Business: An Exploration of Faith-Based Service Delivery,” Review of Policy Research, 24 (1): 67-89.
- Reese, Laura A. Forthcoming. “The State of Canadian Cities: Theoretical and Applied Themes,” Geojournal.
- Reese, Laura A. Forthcoming. Trends in Canadian Urban Regions (symposium edited with Pierre Filion and Gary Sands), Geojournal.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. Forthcoming. “Michigan’s Industrial Tax Abatements: Pyrrhic Victories?” in Land Use in Michigan, eds. S. Adelaja and G. Sands. Michigan State University Press: East Lansing.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. Forthcoming. “Sustainability and Local Economic Development in Canada and the United States,” International Journal of Sustainable Planning and Development.
- Reese, Laura A., S. Loveridge and D. Nizalov. 2008. Municipal Economic Development Toolkit. USAID.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2008. “Cultivating the Creative Class: And What About Nanaimo?” Economic Development Quarterly, 22 (1): 8-23.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2008. “Implementing Economic Development Incentives: The Case of Grand Rapids,” in Building the Local Economy, eds. D. Watson and J.C. Morris. Atlanta: Carl Vinson Institute of Government: 15-31.
- Reese, Laura A., and Gary Sands. 2008. Economic Prosperity and the Creative Class (symposium edited with Gary Sands), Economic Development Quarterly, 22 (1).
- Reese, Laura A. 2008. “A Common Sense Approach to Economic Development” Public Administration Review, Theory to Practice, 68: 25-31.
- Reese, Laura A. 2008. “Creative Class and Economic Prosperity: Old Nostrums, Better Packaging? Economic Development Quarterly, (22) 1: 3-7.
- Reese, Laura A. 2008. “Small Business Incubators,” in Municipal Economic Development Toolkit, eds. S. Loveridge, L. Reese, and D. Nizalov. USAID.
- Reese, Laura A., and Raymond Rosenfeld. 2008. “Comparative Civic Culture,” Journal of Urban Affairs, 30: 355-374.
- Reese, Laura A., and Raymond Rosenfeld. 2008. Comparative Civic Culture (symposium), Journal of Urban Affairs, 30.
- Reese, Laura A., Cynthia Jackson-Elmoore and Richard Hula. 2008. “The Emerging Role of Faith-Based Organizations in the Low-Income Housing Market,” in Innovations in Effective Compassion. Washington DC, Department of Health and Human Services: 103-146.
- Reese, Laura A., D. Sands, M. Arteaga, C. Espinose, L. Ibarra, J. Latargere, and A. Ruiz. 2008. “Inserting Bus Rapid Transit Into an Existing Transportation System: The Case of Mexico City,” in The Sustainable City V, Urban Regeneration and Sustainability, eds. A. Gospodini, C.A. Brebbia, and E. Tiezzi. Boston: WIT Press: 445-454.
- Reese, Laura A., Ron Brown, and J. David Ivers. 2007. “Some Children See Him: Political Participation and the Black Christ,” Political Behavior, 29 (4): 517-537.