Michael Bratton is University Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Political Science and African Studies at Michigan State University. He is the author of five books, most recently Voting and Democratic Citizenship in Africa (Boulder: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2013) and over sixty articles and chapters, including in The American Journal of Political Science, World Politics, Comparative Politics, Comparative Political Studies, World Development, The Journal of Democracy, and The British Journal of Political Science. He is also a founder, former executive director, and now senior advisor to the Afrobarometer, a cross-national survey research project on public opinion in Africa. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in comparative and African politics.
- Bratton, Michael, and Mwangi Kimenyi. 2008. “Voting in Kenya: Putting Ethnicity in Perspective,” Journal of East African Studies, 2 (2): 273-290.
- Bratton, Michael. 2008. “Vote Buying and Violence in Nigerian Elections,” Electoral Studies, 27: 621-632.
- Bratton, Michael, and Eldred Masunungure. 2007. “Public Reactions to State Repression: Operation Murambatsvina in Zimbabwe,” African Affairs, 106: 21-45.
- Bratton, Michael, and Peter Lewis. 2007. “The Durability of Political Goods? Evidence from Nigeria’s New Democracy,” Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, 45 (1): 1-33.
- Bratton, Michael, and Robert Mattes. 2007. “Learning About Democracy in Africa: Awareness, Performance and Experience,” American Journal of Political Science, 51 (1): 192-217.
- Bratton, Michael. 2006. “Populations Pauvres et Citoyenneté Démocratique en Afrique”” Afrique Contemporaine, 220: 33-64.
- Bratton, Michael, and Eric Chang. 2006. “State Building and Democratization in Africa: Forwards, Backwards or Together?” Comparative Political Studies, 39 (9): 1059-1083.
- Bratton, Michael, and Wonbin Cho. 2006. “Political Institutions, Partisan Status, and Attitudes to Democracy: A Natural Experiment from Lesotho.” Electoral Studies, 25: 731-750.
- Bratton, Michael, Robert Mattes, and E. Gyimah-Boadi. 2005. Public Opinion, Democracy, and Market Reform in Africa. Cambridge University Press.
- Bratton, Michael, Annie Chikwana, and Tulani Sithole. 2005. “Propaganda and Public Opinion in Zimbabwe,” also “Reply to a Critic: Don’t Shoot the Messenger,” Journal of Contemporary African Studies, 23 (1), pp. 77-108 and 121-2