William G. Jacoby
William G. Jacoby is a Professor in the Department of Political Science at Michigan State University. He is also a Research Scientist at the University of Michigan, where he serves as Director of the Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)Summer Training Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Research.
Professor Jacoby joined the MSU faculty in 2003. Previously, he held positions at the University of South Carolina, Ohio State University, and the University of Missouri. He received his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill in 1983.
Professor Jacoby’s main professional interests are mass political behavior (public opinion, political attitudes, voting behavior) and quantitative methodology (measurement theory, scaling methods, statistical graphics, modern regression). His current research focuses on citizen ideology and belief system organization, value choices and their implications for subsequent political orientations, measuring policy priorities in the American states, the implications of measurement assumptions for statistical models, and graphical strategies for data analysis.
Recently, Professor Jacoby has taught courses on public opinion, regression analysis, scaling methods, and statistical graphics.
- Jacoby, William G. 2009. “Ideology and Vote Choice in the 2004 Election.” Electoral Studies. Forthcoming.
- Jacoby, William G. 2009. “Public Opinion During a Presidential Campaign: Distinguishing the Effects of Environmental Evolution and Attitude Change.” Electoral Studies. Forthcoming.
- Jacoby, William G., and Saundra K. Schneider. 2008. “A New Measure of Policy Spending Priorities in the American States,” Political Analysis, 17: 1-24.
- Jacoby, William G., Michael S. Lewis-Beck, Helmut Norpoth, and Herbert F. Weisberg. 2008. The American Voter Revisited. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Jacoby, William G. 2008. “Comment: The Dimensionality of Public Attitudes Toward Government Spending.” Political Research Quarterly, 61: 158-161.
- Jacoby, William G., and Saundra K. Schneider. 2007. “Reconsidering the Linkage between Public Assistance and Public Opinion in the American Welfare State.” British Journal of Political Science 37: 555-566.
- Jacoby, William G. 2006. “Value Choices and American Public Opinion.” American Journal of Political Science, 50: 706-723.
- Jacoby, William G, and Saundra K. Schneider. 2005. “Elite Discourse and American Public Opinion: The Case of Welfare Spending.” Political Research Quarterly 58: 367-379.